All too often, we have heard no one 'takes' unwanted books, and have seen them discarded in the trash. It occurred to us that that wasn't right -- there are plenty of people who want and can use books!
So in early June 2011 we decided to become a book/media clearinghouse and remove unwanted books, CDs and DVDs. Our general notion was to help people who no longer wanted or needed their books place them with those who did. We figured that we'd make a few pickups and drive and/or mail some boxes to schools, community centers, servicemen overseas and prisons – keeping the books off dusty and ignored bookshelves and out of N.J. landfills. A win-win.
Since then we have picked up and processed hundreds of thousands of books and along the way received an awesome outpouring of support -- including recognition from NJ Governor Chris Christie who thanked us for our good works, on behalf of our great, home state.
Some of the types of places we donate your books include:
- Food banks in New Jersey, New York and Maine
- Schools and after-school programs in New York, New Jersey, Kentucky and Missouri
- Community Centers in Oregon and New Jersey
- The Pritzker War Library in Illinois
- U.S. troops in Afghanistan
- Family Planning Centers
- Hospitals (Veteran, Childrens, Low-income)
- Houses of Worship
- LGBTQ Youth Groups
- Locations hit by natural disasters such as Superstorm Sandy